Ingredients (makes 12 pancakes):
- 8 medium peeled potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- Lemon juice
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/8 cup melted butter
- Add salt and pepper (to taste)
- Crème Fraiche and / or Apple Sauce
- Olive or Peanut Oil (for frying)
- Grate the potatoes and onions using a large-hole grater (this is where a food blender comes in VERY handy).
- To add a little “zing” and freshness, you can splash the grated potato with lemon juice and then squeeze out the excess water.
- Mix the flour, milk, egg, and baking powder then add to the grated potatoes.
- Add in the melted butter.
- Heat some oil (olive or peanut oil is good) in a skillet or deep frying pan and fry until golden on one side – then just flip and cook the same way on the other
For a "kosher" Passover, omit the baking powder and replace the flour with matzo meal (matzos ground into flour) – this will make a slightly more dense latke,
but just as good.